Enrolment process

If your child turns 5:  

  • before 1st May, they can start primary school at the start of the year. 
  • after 1st May, they can start the next year. 

Your child must be at school by their 6th birthday.  


Visit the school enrolment section on the department’s website for more information.

Mid-year intake from 2024

From 2024, there will be a mid-year intake into school.

From 2024, if your child turns 5 years between 1st May and 31st October, they can start school in either:

  • term 3 of the same year
  • or term 1 the following year.

Students enrolled through a mid-year intake will complete 6 terms of reception.


Step 1: submit an enrolment form. You can get a form from our front office.  

Step 2: submit your verification documents. You’ll need to provide: 

  • a copy of the child’s original birth certificate or passport 
  • an immunisation certificate 
  • residency visa, if you’re a non-Australian resident 
  • proof of address (for example utility bill or lease agreement).  

Transition visits

Before starting school, you’ll get a letter to let you know when you can attend a transition visit in term 4. This is for all students starting school the following year.